Monday, August 1, 2011

Recruitment Begins




Well, I am starting my second year of girl scouting and I have jumped all in with everything I have got in me.  I have volunteered to be the Registrar for the Houston County Service Unit Team this year, and I am also the Camp Director for our 2012 Camporee, and I'm planning a special even for our Daisies and Brownies in January.  It is going to be a really exciting year for our Service Unit as we celebrate 100 years of girl scouting.

I have been busy during the past week with providing information to some of our elementary schools that we do not have a girl scout presence in.


This is the poster I created and had printed up to either post at the schools or give to the troop leaders/site coordinators to use.  I thought it turned out very well.  I love the pictures and wish there had been room for more pictures of our activities.

I was only able to attend two school sneak-a-peeks last week, and I had so much fun.  My 7 year old walked around with flyers inviting girls to join girl scouts and even talked parents into coming to our table to meet me.  She was totally awesome and it counts towards her community service hours too.

If I could have, I would have gone to all the sneak-a-peeks, but all of the schools have them on the same two nights, so I just had to be satisfied with the two that I went to.  I am hoping to be able to attend some open houses and PTO meetings to recruit volunteers.  We are in dire need of volunteers for leaders and co-leaders.  We have so many girls in Houston County, Georgia that could benefit for our organization, but we just don't enough volunteers to go around.  That's how I got involved.  There wasn't a troop for my daughter at her school, so I agreed to be the Troop Leader.

I will also be transitioning from a Daisy Leader to a Brownie Leader this year.  My co-leader and I will have a combined troop, she will work mostly with the Daisies and I will work with the Brownies.  I was also hoping to start a pilot troop of older girls with physical special needs (other than autism or ADHD), but I'm not sure if that one is going to pan out or not.

I will be wearing many hats and I'm looking forward to every minute of it.


Karen
Daisy Troop #60931 GSHG Houston County Leader
Houston County Service Unit Team Registrar

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen
    Iam a toop leader in Putnam County.
    I have two grandaughters that live in Bonaire,Ga that are in my troop here in Eatonton
    I would like to get them involved in some serice unit events if i could and i would be willing to help.
    Vickie Williamson
    vickietw@mac.com
    706-485-8904
    706-473-0695

    ReplyDelete